NLP is an abbreviation for Neuro-Linguistic Programming. Neuro refers to neurology, Linguistic means language and the programming refers to how that neural language functions. Learning NLP is simply learning the language of your mind. NLP is extremely popular and extensively used in areas like education, sports, self-help, therapy, coaching, and the corporate world.
WHAT IS NLP?
NLP was created in the 1970s by Richard Bandler and John Grinder. They have studied the number of people who excelled in their respective fields and created a number of models, which other people can use and replicate excellent behavior in them.
NLP is a set of tools and techniques. It is an attitude and methodology to know how to achieve your goals and get the desired results. It is a psychological approach that allows one to create quick, effective change. As your conscious mind is a goal setter and your unconscious mind is your goal-getter, if you want to achieve your targets then you should communicate effectively with your unconscious mind. And the ‘NLP: the language of unconscious mind’ makes it possible to tell our unconscious mind ‘server’, what we actually want out of our life. NLP is something that helps you to do, whatever task you are doing in a very effective manner.
NLP IS HELPS TO:
- Manage one’s internal state.
- Stay resourceful and calm during stressful times.
- Gain high degree behavioral flexibility in various difficult situations and improve self-confidence.
- Increase one’s productivity and learning speed.
- To make you a more influential member of your group.
- To change habits and behavior of yourself and of others as well.
- Improve the quality and range of your choices.
HOW THE NLP WORKS?
Every individual has its own map of the world in mind that is created by receiving all the data through different senses. Every individual’s map is different because everyone’s perception of the same event is not similar and hence input data for building up the map is different in each case. That map is based on the priorities the person has in life. The system that a person uses to experience is called a primary representational system (PRS). The knowledge of PRS is essential for changing an individual’s personal world map. And once the person becomes capable of changing the data and the form of his/her world map then, the person can do anything. Then a person can model own personality and can bring a positive change in life.
NLP is a very broad field of practice. In this therapist works with a person and tries to understand a person’s aspirations, emotional status, thinking, behaviors. The therapist then recognizes a person’s world map along with their PRS. This is the foundation they have led down. Then they use a variety of techniques to change the way in which a person thinks, feels or behaves in certain conditions. Most common techniques are-
- Anchoring: For certain emotional states, turning sensory experiences into triggers.
- Rapport: This technique is based on empathy that the therapist shows towards the person by matching a person’s physical behaviors to improve communication and response.
- Swish pattern: Changing patterns of behavior or thought to come at the desired instead of an undesired outcome. For example in this the undesired feeling is wrapped into some visual form, giving it shape-size-color and then unwrapping of that visual form to produce the exact opposite positive feeling.
- Visual/kinesthetic dissociation (VKD): This technique is based on removing negative thoughts and feelings associated with the past event.
Using NLP techniques helps people to create more choices in their own lives and the life of others as well. Hence NLP helps in all the ways to improve the overall personality of a person and make the person capable of achieving desired things.