Irrfan Khan was one of the most talented Indian actor who was known for his versatility in acting. Unfortunately, he left the world too soon. Irrfan Khan died on Wednesday in Mumbai due to colon infection. The actor was 53 years old.
The original name of Irrfan Khan was Sahabzade Irfan Ali Khan. He was born in Jaipur, Rajasthan on January 7, 1966. His mother’s name was Saeeda Begum Khan. She was from Jaipur, and his father, Yaseen Ali Khan was from the Khajuriya village in Rajasthan who ran a tire business. Irrfan was interested in cricket and he was also selected for a tournament but was unable to turn up due to lack of funds.
He was influenced by his maternal uncle who was a was a theatre artist in Jodhpur. After completing his MA in Jodhpur, he decided to join the National School of Drama (NSD) in New Delhi in 1984 to study acting. Irrfan met his wife Sutapa Sikdar while studying in the National School of Drama. They got married on 23 February, 1995.
- Irrfan made his debut as an Indian actor in Mira Nair’s Salaam Bombay in the year 1998. He played in many TV serials such as Chanakya, Bharat Ek Khoj, Sara Jahan Hamara, Banegi Apni Baat, Chandrakanta, Shrikant, AnooGoonj on Doordarshan. Irrfan played the main villain in the series ‘Darr’ which aired on Star Plus.
- He got recognition after doing The Warrior, directed by the London-based director Asif Kapadia. The movie was shortlisted for UK’s official entry for the Academy Awards. After the success of The Warrior Irrfan Khan became famous.
- He did many critically acclaimed movies like Maqbool, which was an adaptation of Shakespeare’s Macbeth.
- Irrfan did his first lead role as an Indian actor in Bollywood with Rog which came in 2005. He also won the Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award for the movie Life in a… Metro.
- He appeared in the movie ‘The Lunchbox‘ which won the Grand Rail d’Or at Cannes Film Festival and received a BAFTA nomination.
- His film ‘Paan Singh Tomar‘ was based on the real-life athlete who turned into a dacoit.
Irrfan Khan gained recognition in Hollywood after playing the role of a police inspector in the movie Slumdog Millionaire. He also played supporting roles in major Hollywood movies like “The Amazing Spider-Man,” “Jurassic World” and “Inferno.” He played Dr. Rajit Ratha in The Amazing Spider-Man and Simon Masrani in Jurassic World.
You May Also Like: irrfan khan versatile actor of bollywood ever